Saturday, May 18, 2024

Gas leak prompts evacuation in Wallace

| April 5, 2024 1:00 AM

WALLACE –– A natural gas leak on Tuesday night forced the evacuation of several homes in the residential area of Wallace. 

Shoshone County Sheriff’s Capt. Seth Green told the News-Press that on Tuesday evening they received multiple reports of natural gas being smelled throughout several neighborhoods in Wallace.

The line was broken at 118 River Street during a reported unpermitted dig.

Quickly, the SCSO with the assistance of Shoshone County Fire District #1 attempted to evacuate the approximately 35-40 homes surrounding the residence to make sure that appliances, stoves, or anything that could potentially spark a potential disaster, was shut off and that people were safely moved from the area until it was safe to return. 

Crews from Avista Utilities responded quickly to get the gas shut off in the area and people were able to return home quickly, according to Green. 

“It’s pretty amazing how quickly that gas dissipates,” Green said. “Once we knew the gas was off and the gas in the air had dissipated, we were able to let everyone go back to their homes.” 

No one was injured during the incident.